Newcastle representative coach Shane Burley is taking the positives out of the district's two teams being pitted against each other in a T20 Regional Bash semi-final at the SCG in the new year.
Cricket NSW recently confirmed the men's fixtures with title holders Lake Mac Attack and 2017-18 champions Newcastle Blasters now going head-to-head for a spot in the tournament decider at the iconic sporting venue on February 8.
Players from both sides, who won their respective pools earlier this season, train together in the larger Newcastle squad but the draw means one group progresses for a shot at the trophy while the other gets eliminated.
"It's nice to know someone is going to get through to the final, but it would have been good to play different semis and try to get both teams in," Burley said.
"The positive is the fact they both made it together for the first time."
The mentor said training would resume next month after NSW Country, including five Newcastle players, complete a series of matches in Canberra and Bowral from January 11 to 17.
Wallsend's Jacob Montgomery and Wests' Aaron Wivell are the main injury concerns having missed recent club games while Bush Blues representative Ryan Van Kemenade may come into contention for selection after being unavailable for the preliminary rounds.
Orana Outlaws, who tasted success in 2016-17, and ACT Aces, who have lost the previous two showdowns, meet in the other semi.
Meanwhile, the women's T20 Regional Bash finals series will take place at the SCG on January 17 with the Aces and Outlaws again featuring as well as Northern Inland Bolters and Coffs Coast Chargers.