More than 3000 native plants will be provided to Lake Mac residents for free next month as part of the council's annual native plant giveaway.
The event is typically held in conjunction with the Living Smart Festival in September.
However, the festival's cancellation due to COVID-19 has prompted a series of smaller pop-up events to be held across the city between October 6 and 24.
The events - open only to people who register online beforehand - will be held at Lake Mac Libraries branches, Lake Mac Landcare's headquarters at Teralba and from the Rover mobile library van at multiple locations.
Landcare coordinator Jason Harvey said a range of native plant species would be available, including banksia, westringia and callistemon.
"Residents who register online are eligible for two free native plants per household," he said. "We'll have a selection of eight species at each event, with a mix of trees, shrubs, ground cover, grasses and other seedlings to choose from. This is a fantastic way to add colour and life to your garden, as well as create habitat and food sources for native wildlife."
Due to COVID-19 health restrictions, residents must register for a specific giveaway session time.
"These specific session times are in place to ensure this is a COVID-safe giveaway," Mr Harvey said. "That means you unfortunately won't be able to collect your plants if you arrive earlier or later than your allocated time. We are so excited to have the opportunity to offer the community this giveaway despite COVID-19 and are confident residents will understand and appreciate the measures we've had to take as a precaution."
To register for one of the Native Plant Giveaway sessions go to livingsmartfestival.com or contact Lake Macquarie City Council's customer service team on (02) 4921 0333.
Native Plant Giveaway 2020 dates and locations
- Toronto Tuesday, October 6
- Redhead Wednesday, October 7
- Cardiff Thursday 8 October
- Warners Bay Friday, October 9
- West Wallsend Friday, October 9
- Cameron Park Friday, October 9
- Valentine Monday, October 12
- Mt Hutton Monday, October 12
- Swansea Tuesday, October 13
- Windale Wednesday, October 14
- Charlestown Thursday, October 15
- Cooranbong Tuesday, October 20
- Wyee Tuesday, October 20
- Wangi Wangi Wednesday, October 21
- Belmont Thursday, October 22
- Morisset Friday, October 23
- Landcare Resource Centre Teralba Saturday, October 24