THE decision by the NRL on Monday to suspend its competition indefinitely in response to the COVID-19 pandemic has cast further doubts over when rugby league might resume - at any level - in 2020.
On March 17, the NSW Rugby League announced the suspension of all competitions from juniors to seniors until possibly the end of May or into early June.
The Newcastle Rugby League board met the next day and supported a revised, 14-round draw for the local competition in 2020.
Chief executive officer Matt Harris told the Newcastle Herald flexibility around start and finish dates would be key during the ever-changing situation.
Last Thursday, Harris said the new-look campaign had been due to kick-off on May 31, but a cancelled competition remained a possibility.