LAKE Macquarie BMX Club will host an introductory session for prospective riders this Saturday, February 23.
“Participants can learn the basics of riding a BMX track from an accredited Australian coach in an encouraging environment,” the club’s Shane Doyle said.
“All riders who take to the track are also covered by BMX Australia’s rider insurance.”
Riding with a club ensures participants learn the basic skills needed to safely negotiate a track, he said.
And the club is not just for kids.
“Our club caters for all ages. We have riders as young as two, through to 65-plus,” Mr Doyle said.
Participants on Saturday should go prepared by wearing.-
- long pants or track pants that are fitted at the ankle;
- long-sleeve top or race jersey that is fitted at the wrist;
- any type of gloves that have complete hand and finger protection;
- an Australian standard approved helmet (the club might have spares you can borrow); and
- fully enclosed shoes to protect your feet.
“If participants enjoy their time on track, they can sign up as a member on the spot – so bring identification and date-of-birth details just in case you want to do this,” Mr Doyle said.
“The coub offers a range of membership options that cater for everyone from club riders, through to those hoping to one day make a career as a BMX athlete.”
The ‘Ride In 2 BMX’ day will be held from noon to 2pm at the club’s track in Mary Street, Argenton.