WORK on the $200-million Wyong Hospital redevelopment has started with the first sod turned on the new 500-space car park.
Minister for Health, Brad Hazzard, joined Member for Terrigal, Adam Crouch, and Taylor Martin, MLC, in picking up shovels at the ceremony and photo opportunity on Wednesday.
“The NSW government is delivering on its election commitment for a first-class Wyong Hospital, which will future-proof health services for the growing region,” Mr Hazzard said.
“This $200-million redevelopment – which includes a new emergency department and expanded maternity, intensive care and paediatric services – is part of the NSW government’s total $600-million investment in health services for the Central Coast.”
The single-level car park will replace the existing visitor car park, which will then become the location for the new hospital building.
By 2026, the Wyong region’s population is expected to grow by 13.9 per cent to 188,040 - more than twice the rate of Gosford.
The $200-million Wyong Hospital redevelopment will include:
- new emergency department;
- new intensive care unit;
- new paediatric assessment unit;
- additional inpatient units;
- expanded surgical services, including additional operating theatre capacity; and
- increased maternity services.
The car park is due for completion by the end of 2018, when main works on the hospital will begin.
The Wyong Hospital redevelopment is on top of the $348 million Gosford Hospital redevelopment to be completed this year, $20 million for the University of Newcastle’s medical school at Gosford, and $35.5 million for the Gosford Hospital car park, Mr Hazzard said.
Last year, the government dropped plans for a public-private partnership in the Wyong Hospital redevelopment.
Mr Hazzard confirmed the government would instead go it alone on the $200-million expansion.
That announcement followed a 10-month campaign by the community, public health advocates, and local health workers opposing the partial privatisation plans.